Whats on in the Otways in September…well, it’s warming into Spring and we are all looking forward to blossoming forth out of our winter coats…..
Whats on in the Otways this month?
- September 2nd-4th – FOPA! Yes – the Lorne Festival of Performing Arts is back! Miles O’Neil and Elana Stone are FOPA Features. Traversing the many forms of artistic excellence, both Miles and Elana are exceptional performers, creators and entertainers at the top of their game. Tom Gleeson, Denise Scott, All Our Exes Live in Texas and much much more. Take a look at the program here
- September 2 – Miss Bronte – how could an unmarried woman living in a secluded parsonage, with only her sisters for company, write one of the world’s greatest love stories? A play at the Red Rock Regional Theater and Gallery just 25 minutes drive from here. Ticket $35
- September 3rd : The Winchelsea CWA is holding and Chook & Egg day! Celebrating all things ‘chook & egg’ related from 12noon-4pm at the Senior Citizens Hall, 36 Harding St, Winchelsea. There will be a cake stall, craft stall, plant stall, light lunch & afternoon tea plus colouring activities for the kids as well. The Colac Poultry Club will also be on site to discuss any chook or egg related questions you may have. $2 entry. These are some of the gorgeous chook crafts that will be up for sale there….early bird gets the worm!
- And the second ever Farmers Market at Winchelsea, September the 4th….last months was great! Look for the gorgeous bluestone bridge as you come into town….the first Sunday of every month, 8am-12pm. Great idea for Fathers Day gifts!! Check out more information about the local market scene below…
- September 9th – the Aireys Inlet Pub will host a performance of Nobody Famous – The Monologue, written and performed by Colin Urquhart. This is a “mostly reliable memoir of a ginger baby-boomer boyhood” . Colin’s wit and unique style of humour promise a great night of entertainment – with all proceeds to go to the Aireys Inlet Rural Australians for Refugees (AIRAR). Time: 7.00pm Bookings via the pub on (03) 5289 6804. $50/head includes show and a 2-course meal.
- September 9th – Of Cows, Women and War – presented by La Mama mobile, 7pm at the Red Rock Regional Theater and Gallery
- September 10th – Barwon Park Mansion in Winchelsea is hosting “A Murderous Affair” ….dinner murder mystery. 5.45pm-10pm Tickets $150
Includes sparkling wine and canapes on arrival, an exclusive torchlight tour of one of Australia’s finest mansions, built in 1871, a gourmet two-course meal, served with professionally paired wines and concluding with local coffee, tea and a macaron selection in the historical grandeur of the dining room.
Fully immerse yourself in the drama as actors and guests mingle amongst each other during the evening. Do you have the detective skills to deduce who is not who they say they are and uncover the means, motive and opportunity they may have for murder?
- September 10th – Great Ocean Road Brew House in Apollo Bay will be holding a free cooking demonstration
- September 11th – Wiggle Amy’s Gran Fondo is your once-a-year opportunity to experience the thrill and safety of riding the fully closed Great Ocean Road. Held in Lorne, the event includes a weekend of family-friendly activities that makes the Wiggle Amy’s Gran Fondo not just an event, but an experience.
- September 17th – the first of the indulgant Vintage Afternoon Teas series at Barwon Park (pictured above). You are invited to indulge in a culinary afternoon in high style at Barwon Park Mansion in Winchelsea. In the mansion’s elegant dining room, guests will be treated to savoury and sweet delights using vintage bone china settings – including Wedgwood and Royal Albert trios. To add to the event, find out more about “The History of Afternoon Tea” from a talk presented by your host and enjoy a guided tour of the 42 room mansion prior to afternoon tea. Tickets $58
- September 17& 18 – Angair Wildflower & Art Show, Anglesea
- September 21 & 22 – Movie – A Matter of Size – a comedy about a ‘coming out’ of a different kind – overweight people learning to accept themselves. 1h 30min Comedy, Drama, Romance 2009 Israel. Showing at the Red Rock Regional Theater and Gallery
- September 23 and 30th – School holiday program at Ravens Creek FarmRavens Creek Farms’ NEW school holiday activities aim to teach children about where our food comes from in a fun and hands-on way! In one morning your child will learn the principles of organic farming, natural animal husbandry, healthy soils, healthy food and ethical farming practices.
What’s included? Each workshop starts with a tour around the farm, allowing children to get up close and personal with all of our animals, as well as pick and taste our fresh organic produce.
The tour is followed by an outdoor cooking activity plus a craft and/or gardening activity tailored to a specific theme. Choose from the Chicken and the Egg or the Pigness of the Pig ….sounds like fun to us!!
- Winchelsea Farmers Market Open 9am-12pm, 1st Sunday of every month at the Bluestone Bridge, Main St, Winchelsea. Next on September 4, 2016
- Aireys Inlet Community Market – Open 9am to 1pm Every second Sunday during the warmer months, from Spring through to Easter, at the Aireys Inlet Community Hall. Next on September 11, 2016
- Apollo Bay Farmers Market Open 9am – 2pm, 3rd Sunday of every month at the Youth Club Hall, Moore Street, Apollo Bay. Next on September 18, 2016
- Torquay Farmers Market every Saturday all year round 8.30am-1pm in the carpark of Council offices, 1 Merrijig Drive, Torquay. This is a genuine European style farmers’ market with no bells and whistles, just great fresh food and produce from around the region. Running every Saturday morning, stallholder specialities include local and regional bread, cheese, wine, organics, eggs, vegies, beer berries, jam, honey and much, much more. Next on September 3, 10, 17 and 24, 2016
- Torquay Cowrie Market Open 10am-3pm, 3rd Sunday of the month, begining again this month. This iconic market is nestled amongst the majestic trees overlooking Zeally Bay on the Torquay Foreshore. Offering a friendly atmosphere with local music. Specialises in local art, craft, jewellery, vintage, plants and fresh produce. Next on September 18, 2016
- Anglesea Riverbank Market open 9am till 4pm, on the Great Ocean Road, Angelsea. Next on Sun 30 October, 2016
- Deans Marsh Market – next on November 27, 2016
- Birregurra Market Open in the morning, 2nd Sunday of every month, Main St, Birregurra. Next on November 13, 2016
And All month in the Otways:
- Gosling Creek Winery, just down the road has musical afternoons every Sunday – sip on their delicious wine and while away the afternoon to some great music. It’s all under cover and there’s a cosy wood fire so you’ll be safe if winter is still showing it’s true colours.
- The amazing National Trust Barwon Park Mansion is open Wednesdays and Sundays 11am-4pm. Well worth the visit into the lives of the Austins, proud major donors of the Austin Hospital.
- Red Rock Regional Theater and Gallery – The Salmon Family Exhibition – a celebration of family through art. Opening September 3 and showing weekends, 11am-4pm till September 25
- Lorne Visitor Centre – 9am-5pm Surfing 60’s Photographs exhibition from Victoria’s west coast on loan from the Australian National Surfing Museum
- Qdos Arts & Sculpture Park/Cafe– Open 9am-5pm Directors Collection of Artists
- Edge Gallery Lorne – Open 10am–4pm. Fine Art Photography by award winning photographer Will Dielenberg
- Aireys Inlet – Fri – Sunday 10am-5pm – Eagles Nest Fine Art Gallery
Tours and activities in the Otways:
- Australian National Surfing Museum Torquay – Open daily 9am-5pm Ph: 5261 4606
- Barwon Park Winchelsea – Open Wednesdays, Saturdays & Sundays, 11am-4pm
- Cape Otway Lightstation – open 9am–5pm Discounted tickets available at the Lorne Visitor Centre
- GORATS Mountain Bike and Canoe Tours Lorne and surrounds. Call Simon Williams on 0417 576 973
- Go Ride A Wave – Surf lessons in Lorne. Bookings essential, Ph. 1300 132 441, www.gorideawave.com.au
- Great Ocean Road Heritage Centre – Discover the story behind the building of the iconic Great Ocean Road in this permanent exhibition at Lorne Visitor Centre. Open 9am-5pm daily. Entry FREE
- HAH Lorne beach – Lorne, bikes and surfboard hire on the Lorne beach in front of the pool. Ph 0406453131
- Horse Riding: At Blazing Saddles Aireys Inlet- Ph. 5289 7322 or Spring Creek Horse Rides Ph: 5266 1541 Bellbrae. Bookings required.
- Koala Walk and glow worms at Kennett River – 25 minute drive. For more information call into the information centre
- Local Lorne activities: Tennis or Golf facilities available at the Lorne Country Club. On the foreshore – mini golf, trampolines, swimming pool, (weekends & public holidays) skate park and of course, the beach. Lorne Bowls Club – Barefoot bowls. Bowls provided. Contact Jeff on 0456 411 222 for more information.
- Lorne Walks & Waterfalls & Surf Coast Walk – Lorne walks cover a great variety of distances & environments. There are more than 70 bush & coastal walks in the Surf Coast Region, and 10 waterfalls around Lorne. Call into the Visitor Centre for a brochure.
- Otway Fly Treetop Adventures –Treetop walk, Zipline, abseil at Beech Forest. Open 9am-5pm (last entry at 4pm). Discounted tickets at the Lorne Visitor Centre
- Planet Mud Adventures – Paintball, Segway and Globe riding Outdoor Adventure Centre in Yeodene (40min from Lorne)
- Split Point Lighthouse Aireys Inlet – 45 minute tours begin on the hour: 11am-2pm. Open 7 days a week.
- Anglesea Golf Club is now offering 20 minute conducted tours of their resident kangaroos! Tours run Monday – Friday 10.00am – 4.00pm. Adults $10, Children $5, Family Pass 2 Adults & 2 Children Under 12 $25.00
So if you were wondering whats on in the Otways in September, we hope we’ve helped!!! Feel free to email us or check our availabilty here….At this stage, we still have some availability here at Countrywide Cottages during September – have a look at our booking page here or contact us at email@example.com for details
Jump onto Facebook and make sure you’ve liked us to keep up with the latest news.