Whats on in the Otways in December then??
Whats on in the Otways? It seems that summer is reluctant to show itself this year…..feels just as far away as it did a couple of months ago in fact. No doubt it will be here in avengance soon though and we will all be hinting we’d like a little respite from the heat! We are fickle creatures. Still – life goes on, despite the slow start to the warmth in the season.
The HUGE news of the day – our mates down the road, Dinny Goonan Wines have taken out an amazing accolade – just yesterday they were awarded not only yet another Gold medal for their Shiraz at the Victorian Wine Show, but were presented with the trophy for Best Small Producer in the State…congratulations Dinny and team! Of course, December marks the return of vinyard platters at the winery too….hard to beat!
The Gentle Annie Berry Gardens are sure to reopen soon – at this stage early December is the call. We can’t wait for those luscious berries of theirs to ripen. Or if you are heading to Forrest, be sure to check out the farmgate stall at Very Berry Orchard, where our mate Wally just might have some of his incredible produce on sale. Soon too we’ll find Pennyroyal Raspberry farm and Ravens Creeks PYO berries also on offer….both cafes are already open for the season though – and both fabulous! Berry time is one of my favourite parts of this time of the year (usually!!)
The rest of the Otway Harvest Trail is also briming with wondrous delights….
Whats on in the Otways….a bit of theatrics
On the 3rd of December, our very own Barwon Park Mansion in Winchelsea is hosting ‘A Murderous Affair‘ – a themed murder mystery dinner. Scandal, lies, cheating and several of the deadly sins are revealed at some stage during the evening while it is the role of the guests to decipher the means, motive and opportunity by first figuring out who are actors and questioning what their role in the plot may be.
Includes sparkling wine and canapés on arrival and exclusive torchlight tour of the mansion, built in 1871.
Fully immerse yourself in the drama as actors and guests mingle amongst each other during the evening. Do you have the detective skills to deduce who is not who they say they are and uncover the means, motive and opportunity they may have for murder?
- Professionally paired wines with canapés and a two-course gourmet dinner in a historical mansion
- Watch and participate in a dramatic plot that unfolds around you
- Exclusive torchlight tour of the mansion
Whats on in the Otways? Our ever present and wonderful markets
- Winchelsea Farmers Market Open 9am-12pm, 1st Sunday of every month at the Bluestone Bridge, Main St, Winchelsea. Next on December 4, 2016
- Birregurra Market Open in the morning, 2nd Sunday of every month, Main St, Birregurra. Next on December 11, 2016
- Aireys Inlet Community Market – Open 9am to 1pm Every second Sunday during the warmer months, from Spring through to Easter, at the Aireys Inlet Community Hall. Next on December 11, 2016
- Apollo Bay Farmers Market Open 9am – 2pm, 3rd Sunday of every month at the Youth Club Hall, Moore Street, Apollo Bay. Next on December 18, 2016
- Torquay Farmers Market every Saturday all year round 8.30am-1pm in the carpark of Council offices, 1 Merrijig Drive, Torquay. This is a genuine European style farmers’ market with no bells and whistles, just great fresh food and produce from around the region. Running every Saturday morning, stallholder specialities include local and regional bread, cheese, wine, organics, eggs, vegies, beer berries, jam, honey and much, much more. Next on December 3,10,17, 24 and 31 2016
- Torquay Cowrie Market Open 10am-3pm, 3rd Sunday of the month. This iconic market is nestled amongst the majestic trees overlooking Zeally Bay on the Torquay Foreshore. Offering a friendly atmosphere with local music. Specialises in local art, craft, jewellery, vintage, plants and fresh produce. Next on December 18, 2016
- The Farmers Place in Freshwater Creek, 9am-1pm normally on the last Sunday of every month. However due to Christmas Day falling that day, the next will be January 1, 2017
And All month in the Otways:
- Gosling Creek Winery, just down the road has musical afternoons every Sunday – sip on their delicious wine and while away the afternoon to some great music.
- Tarndie Polwarth Wool, open 10am-4pm every weekend. Woolshop, farmtours and Ciderhouse Gallery.
- Red Rock Regional Theater and Gallery – The Salmon Family Exhibition – a celebration of family through art.
- Lorne Visitor Centre – 9am-5pm, information and the Great Ocean Road Museum
- Qdos Arts & Sculpture Park/Cafe– Open 9am-5pm
- Edge Gallery Lorne – Open 10am–4pm. Fine Art Photography by award winning photographer Will Dielenberg
- Aireys Inlet – Fri – Sunday 10am-5pm – Eagles Nest Fine Art Gallery
Tours and activities in the Otways:
- Anglesea Golf Club is now offering 20 minute conducted tours of their resident kangaroos! Tours run Monday – Friday 10.00am – 4.00pm. Adults $10, Children $5, Family Pass 2 Adults & 2 Children Under 12 $25.00
- The amazing National Trust Barwon Park Mansion is open Wednesdays and Sundays 11am-4pm, though sadly closed from the 5th of December and reopening on the 4th of January next year. Well worth the visit into the lives of the Austins, proud major donors of the Austin Hospital.
- Bike hire – Otway e bikes in Beech Forrest – not up to the push and grunt of a bike ride through the gorgeous Beechy Rail Trail? Nathan will take you on Electric Bicycle Tour! He’s right into genuine Eco Tourism and is full of information of the area.
- Cape Otway Lightstation – open 9am–5pm Discounted tickets available at the Lorne Visitor Centre
- GORATS Mountain Bike and Canoe Tours Lorne and surrounds. Call Simon Williams on 0417 576 973
- Go Ride A Wave – Surf lessons in Lorne. Bookings essential, Ph. 1300 132 441, www.gorideawave.com.au
- Great Ocean Road Heritage Centre – Discover the story behind the building of the iconic Great Ocean Road in this permanent exhibition at Lorne Visitor Centre. Open 9am-5pm daily. Entry FREE
- Gellibrand River Gallery – open Fri – Sun 10-4pm….a gorgeous little town on a circle route to or from the Otway Fly. We also highly recommend the cafe next door.
- HAH Lorne beach – Lorne, bikes and surfboard hire on the Lorne beach in front of the pool. They also have a fabulous wholefoods cafe with smoothies to die for, whilst whiling away the hours watching the surf roll in. Ph 0406453131
- Horse Riding: At Blazing Saddles Aireys Inlet- Ph. 5289 7322 or Spring Creek Horse Rides Ph: 5266 1541 Bellbrae. Bookings required.
- Koala Walk and glow worms at Kennett River – 25 minute drive. For more information call into the information centre
- Local Lorne activities: Tennis or Golf facilities available at the Lorne Country Club. On the foreshore – mini golf, trampolines, swimming pool, (weekends & public holidays) skate park and of course, the beach. Lorne Bowls Club – Barefoot bowls. Bowls provided. Contact Jeff on 0456 411 222 for more information.
- Lorne Walks & Waterfalls & Surf Coast Walk – Lorne walks cover a great variety of distances & environments. There are more than 70 bush & coastal walks in the Surf Coast Region, and 10 waterfalls around Lorne. Call into the Visitor Centre for a brochure.
- Otway Fly Treetop Adventures –Treetop walk, Zipline, abseil at Beech Forest. Open 9am-5pm (last entry at 4pm). Discounted tickets at the Lorne Visitor Centre
- Planet Mud Adventures – Paintball, Segway and Globe riding Outdoor Adventure Centre in Yeodene (40min from Lorne)
- Split Point Lighthouse Aireys Inlet – 45 minute tours begin on the hour: 11am-2pm. Open 7 days a week.
No doubt we’ve convinced you of all the ‘whats on in the Otways in December’ news. And its likely you might need a bed down this way so you can fully explore this great region. Feel free to email us or check our availabilty here….At this stage, we still have some availability here at Countrywide Cottages during December – have a look at our booking page here or contact us at email@example.com for details
Jump onto Facebook and make sure you’ve liked us to keep up with the latest news.